Perhaps the most expensive investment when opening a restaurant is the equipment used to prepare, cook and serve the delicious food. The wholesale commercial equipment appliances needed is not like kitchen goods where wear and tear occur all the time, commercial kitchens and restaurants must adhere to industrial grade material and commercial kitchen equipment to endure the hectic day to day activities of a restaurant. Below is a list of the top 10 crucial items to run
a successful restaurant.
- Freezers and Refrigerators
– Feasibly the most important component of a restaurant is the use of freezers and commercial refrigerators, as this will allow food to be maintained fresher for longer, as well as providing a storage place for cold and frozen foods.
- Food counters and benchtops
– Benches where food is prepared are a vital piece of equipment to aid against the spread of food-borne disease. They also allow the cooking staff and wait staff to properly prepare the meal and serve according to the menu.
– Further to food counters, appropriate surfaces for cutting produce is also crucial to the success of a kitchen. It is recommended to purchase a flat wooden board as it will allow the food remnants to be cleaned thoroughly, whereas plastic boards usually contain
crevices where bacteria hide.
– Slicers are a must for any commercial kitchen and they are used to slice cheese, meat and some vegetables. The restaurateur must take in to consideration how often they will use this piece of equipment as to which version they purchase. For low-frequency use, a manual slicer is sufficient and is the cheaper option. However, for frequent use an automatic slicer is recommended but comes at a higher price.
– Mixers are used to create many masterpieces throughout the kitchen. From bread to cakes and pastries, this is a product which a kitchen must not go without. The same principle as the slicer occurs with regards to frequency of use. For pizza and other highly compact doughs, a spiral mixer is suggested, and for any other type of mixing, a planetary mixer will be adequate. Mixers also come in many different sizes ranging from small ones which are stored on a benchtop to an industrial size that take up a whole floor space in the kitchen.
- Food Processors
– There are four types of food processors, these include; batch bowl, continuous feed, buffalo chopper and combination. The Batch Bowl Processor is the most common type of food processor and simply mixes all products added. A Continuous feed processor is also a common variety of this equipment and mixes food as the food is added whilst it is in operation. Buffalo choppers are a heavy-duty alternative and can chop products ranging from vegetables to meat. Combination processors, as in the name, are a mixture between the bath bowl and continuous food processors, allowing the user to insert an accessory to collect food scraps or other processed food in a side unit.
– If your menu consists of food cooked over a flame, a range is a must. Commercial ranges can be either electric or gas and it is important to purchase a unit which is suitable to your cooking requirements. Having a gas range will make it easier to assess the heat and is faster to switch between temperatures than electric, although electric ranges do look more authentically pleasing.
– More often than most, ranges will come with an inbuilt oven, but if not, you need to purchase one. A convection oven is perfect for cooking a roast, toasting, as well as baking delicious cookies. Food made with a batter is usually cooked in an oven, and even if you are not cooking anything in the oven, it is an ideal place to keep food warm until serving.
– Commercial sinks are a non-negotiable piece of equipment for any kitchen, let alone a commercial kitchen. They are a place where equipment is cleaned and sanitized, and they provide running water. Most commercial kitchens nowadays require a triple-sink to adhere to the shear demand for use in busy restaurants.
– Storage space for items which are not used all the time is important in maintaining a clean, organized and hazard free kitchen. A storage unit, for example, a pantry, will enable cooking staff to become more efficient and practical when preparing food.
- Safety Equipment
– In order to make the kitchen a safe environment, safety equipment is a necessity to any place of food. Where there are open flames, sharp knives, hot oil and pans, on a busy Friday night, safety equipment will aid in the prevention of any burns or cuts. Make sure all equipment are using an air compressor and air dryers to make the it more viable.